Dr Brian Chinsamy
- Certified Enneagram Practitioner with Integrated Enneagram
- Certified Professional Coach – Centre for Coaching – faculty of Graduate School of Business UCT
- Accredited Integral Coach – New Ventures West - San Francisco, USA
- International Coaching Federation (ICF) and COMENSA accredited
- Doctorate in Education (Nottingham University, UK, 2003)
- Masters in Educational Leadership and Management (Rhodes University, 1995)
- B. Education (Unisa, 1989)
- BA (Hons) in African History (Unisa, 1987)
- B.Pedagogics Degree (University of Durban-Westville, 1981)
Background and Experience
Brian has been involved over the last 30 years in public education, both as a professional and an education activist, in the para-statals, as well as in corporates. In his time in the public sector he headed Educational Management and School Governance in the Gauteng Department of Education and provided leadership as Education Director for the Research Triangle Institute (RTI) implementing the District Development Support Programme (DDSP) for the National Department of Education. His experience in the para-statal world saw him extend his services as Head of Learning and Development and General Manager of HR Projects for Denel to other para-statals in the Department of Public Enterprize for training and development, including Transnet and Escom. Brian’s venture into the corporate world was through the introduction of a new learning strategy for Absa Retail Bank in 2007 as its Head of Learning and
Development. He broadened his reach to leadership and Talent management and development as Head (Director) of Learning, Leadership and Talent for Barclays Africa (12 countries in Africa).
Brian has run coaching and mentoring sessions for individuals and groups, and has facilitated people deep-dives and teaming sessions in Egypt, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Mozambique, Mauritius, Seychelles, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa.
Brian was on the Board of the Matthew Goniwe School of Leadership and Governance, as well as Leselo Assessments, and is presently the Deputy Chair of the ASHA Trust and a member of the Board of the Education Excellence Consortium (EEC). He has written widely and his most recent publication is contained in an international book, “The search for quality education in post-apartheid South Africa, Interventions to improve learning and teaching.”
Key Areas of Expertise and Focus
- Executive Leadership strategy and development
- Executive Coaching
- Group Coaching
- Implementation of small and large-scale coaching interventions
- Team development and teaming (incl Cross-cultural and global teams)
- Organisation vision and values alignment
- Large Group facilitation
- Self-mastery sessions with individuals and teams
- Talent and Succession strategy and management
- Corporate learning and development strategy and implementation
- Performance Consulting
- Performance Management (strategy, facilitation and implementation of systems and capacity building)
Facilitation and Coaching Experience
- Barclays Africa (facilitated coaching programmes, as well as leadership programmes eg Performance Management and Performance Coaching) for all countries in Barclays Africa - Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Mauritius, Seychelles, Egypt, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique)
- Kalleo Learning (Coaching of Senior Managers)
- Diplomat South Africa (Performance Consulting, team effectiveness, leadership development, Performance Coaching and executive coaching)
- NMB Bank in Tanzania - developing HR Metrics to measure HR performance and facilitating the training of the HR team
- Gordon Institute for Business Science (GIBS) - coaching students on MBA programmes, Global Executive Leadership Programme, General Management for Results and participants on leadership development programmes from a number of companies in different industries eg
- Wholesale and Retail (Smollens, Pick and Pay, Shoprite, Waltons),
- Transport (Prasa, Transnet, TNT Express), and
- Telecommunications (Multi Choice).
- Insurance (Zurich)
- harmaceutical (ASPEN)
- Coaching senior managers for Oceana Group
- On the Coaching panel of EOH and presently coaching on the IMPACT Programme
- On the Coaching panel of OMNICOR
- Other clients include Estee Lauder, African Bank, Transnet Engineering Services, ICAS, AFGRI
Brian Chinsamy is an executive coach, a leadership and organizational learning specialist, who works with teams and individuals who want to realise their potential by co-creating solutions that meet their business needs.
Brian's experience in the public, para-statal and corporate worlds across South Africa and Africa combined with his skills in performance consulting and team effectiveness brings a fresh look at organisations wanting to improve their business results through their people His coaching services are designed to help leaders get the outcomes they want in their work by recognising and utilising their individual strengths and accepting and constantly working on their development areas. Awareness through self-observations, expanding the coachees capacity to learn and self-correct and change of behaviour through practices are key components of the coaching approach.
Brian's accreditation on the Enneagram and Insights Discovery provides him with the personality assessments that are useful as he works with individuals and teams as part of their journey in their self-development.